July 24th marked 100 years since the Denton War Memorial in Victoria Park was dedicated.
The memorial was constructed by Messrs J and J Hirst of Market Street, Denton, who were also co-designers. The other party was Arnold Radcliffe, son of Mr Clarence Radcliffe of Radcliffe and Ogden, Silk Hat Manufacturers of Howard Lane.
Having organised a competition to decide on a design for the memorial, Denton Urban District Council proved unable to choose between Hirst and Radcliffe, and the £30 prize was shared between them with parts of both designs being incorporated.
Four steps lead up to the memorial on its four sides. At the front, the dates 1914 and 1918, surrounded by wreathes, are either side of a panel of names. The Denton War Memorial was unveiled by Austin Hopkinson MP and dedicated by the Rev Captain RD Blackledge. A total of 3,500 Denton men enlisted in the First World War from a population of 17,000 and 379 died.
On the day of the centenary Executive Leader of Tameside Council, Councillor Brenda Warrington, was joined by Denton & Reddish MP Andrew Gwynne, local councillors, members of the Tameside Armed Forces Community and children from Russell Scott Primary School who made 379 poppies to remember the 379 who have died.